The Foundation’s aims are set out in its Memorandum of Association:
“The objects for which the Charity (Foundation for the Sociology of Health and Illness) is established are for the public benefit to promote and improve social scientific research, education and scholarship in the field of the sociology of health and illness.”
The Foundation has a number of powers in this respect:
- to publish journals, books, articles, bulletins, reports and other materials in any media;
- to arrange and host or support conferences, courses, workshops, seminars and other educational activities;
- to provide for individuals to participate in conferences courses, work shops, seminars and other educational activities;
- to arrange and support research and activities related to research; and
- to award scholarships and prizes and to provide financial assistance for students and apprentices.